The Lex Academic Philosophical Psychology Essay Prize
We are delighted to be offering the Lex Academic® Essay Prize in association with Philosophical Psychology‘s Special Issue “Understanding Bias“.
The Prize will be awarded to the author of the best essay on the understanding of linguistic discrimination, a philosophical preoccupation of both the journal and Lex Academic.
- Editorial services on the prize-winning submission provided gratis by Lex Academic.
- £1000 awarded to the author of the prize-winning submission.
- Free access to the prize-winning submission granted by Philosophical Psychology for one year from the date of online publication.
Eligible submissions may be on any of the advertised topics of the Special Issue so long as the predominant focus of the essay concerns linguistic discrimination. Topics may include – but are not limited to – the following:
- Intentional and unintentional linguistic discrimination.
- Linguistic bias in philosophy and/or academia more generally.
- Does Anglophone philosophy have a problem with linguistic bias?
- Are there sources of evidence or methods that can fruitfully be used to understand unintentional linguistic discrimination that have not previously been used?
- How, if at all, can insights gleaned using different methodologies and evidence-sources be integrated into a coherent picture of unintentional linguistic prejudice?
- What should happen if different approaches to linguistic discrimination yield different accounts of what linguistic discrimination is like? How is it possible to adjudicate between different accounts developed using different methodologies or evidence?
- Should some approaches to combatting unintentional linguistic discrimination be prioritised over others?
- Do the Barcelona Principles for a Globally Inclusive Philosophy go far enough? Do they go too far?
- What can institutes of higher education and related funding bodies do to help level the linguistic playing field in academia?
Deadline: 28 February, 2023.
Please visit Philosophical Psychology for more details on the Special Issue, the Essay Prize, and how to submit.
Be notified each time we post a new blog article